After the great egg white experiment, I was a little tired of eggs. Yet I had planned on making spaghetti carbonara. Ya, that wasn’t going to happen. Instead I created an eggless version to satisfy my need for a quick pasta. I kind of like it better without eggs to tell the truth. This makes for a great week-night meal and with back to school coming up, school moms and dads need a few of those in their back pocket. This is a great dish that was devoured by all!
Fun story, while I was making this my little soon-to-be first grader was watching and proclaimed, “Bacon is my favorite candy. Second is cotton candy. That stuff is pretty good too.” This was a proud moment for me. My boy loves bacon. This statement got his little sister to finally try bacon for the first time. I swear my daughter is a vegetarian. Perhaps not anymore now that she has discovered candy bacon.
Quick Bacon and Pea Pasta (Eggless Spaghetti Carbonara)
Author: Rachel Farnsworth
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles
- 1 to 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Put diced bacon in a cold skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, stirring occasionally until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon bits from pan and grease and let drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Remove most of the bacon grease from the skillet, reserving about 1 TB in the pan. Return the pan to heat and put in frozen peas and butter. Let the peas heat through and defrost, about 3 to 5 minutes. Once peas are defrosted add in the garlic and sautee 1 minute.
- Stir in salt and heavy cream. Pour cooked spaghetti noodles into the skillet and toss to coat. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot topped with crisp bacon.
***Note: I keep the bacon separate to keep it crisp. If you toss it with the wet ingredients then they'll start to soak in that liquid. I like my bacon crisp and I love the added crunch.