Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is a great savory way to enjoy pumpkin this fall. Pumpkin is super good for you and this is a good way to sneak something healthy in for kids who are picky. The actual pumpkin flavor is subtle and pairs really well with the sharpness of the cheese.
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 yellow or white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups milk
2 cups (15 oz) canned pumpkin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 lb elbow noodles
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
3. Add in the milk and pumpkin and bring to a boil, stirring frequently as to not scald the milk.
4. Pour the saucepan contents into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Stir in the paprika, salt, cheddar, and parmesan. It should still be hot enough to melt the cheese. Once the cheese is melted, blend it up again to bring back some of the creaminess.
5. Pour the sauce over the cooked noodles in a 9×13 pan. Stir to make sure all noodles get covered with sauce. Bake 10 minutes.