Pressed Italian Picnic Sandwiches are the perfect upscale sandwich for picnics, brunches, and baby showers. It’s a fancy sandwich that packs a flavorful punch!
Picnics are a family favorite of ours. Spring, Summer, Fall, we like picnicking during them all! Pressed sandwiches are a perfect picnic item. They are also great for serving at luncheons, and baby/bridal showers. They are easy to put together and require making ahead so it is the perfect party and picnic food. This particular sandwich is bursting with flavor. I used a walnut pesto spread because I enjoy the flavor and slight crunch of the walnuts as opposed to the more traditional pine nuts. Sun-dried tomatoes provide an air of sophistication while pepperocinis provide a little zing.
If you have any questions about how to make this recipe, be sure to watch the video where I walk you through every step. I have my own cooking show you know! Check it out on YouTube. I have over 100 “episodes” so there’s sure to be something you love.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2 loaves focaccia
- 1 pound deli sliced chicken breast
- ½ pound deli sliced salami
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- ¼ cup pepperocinis
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Make the pesto by combining basil, garlic, parmsean, olive oil, and walnuts in a food processor or bender. Blend until fairly smooth.
- Cut the focaccia loves in half carefully. Spread the pesto on the top halves and set aside.
- On the bottom halves layer sliced chicken breast, and salami.
- Mix sun-dried tomatoes, olives, pepperocinis, and roasted red bell peppers in a small bowl. Sprinkle over meat layer.
- Top with slices of fresh mozzarella to cover the entire sandwich.
- Place pesto covered top half of the focaccia onto the sandwich. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped sandwiches onto a baking sheet. Place another baking sheet on top of the sandwiches. Place 2 heavy books or weights on the top baking sheet to squish the sandwiches. Place in the fridge, books and all, for 12 hours.
- Once 12 hours have passed, unwrap the sandwiches and slice into square for serving. Wrap in wax paper and cooking twine for a cutesy presentation.