Homemade eggnog is one of our favorite Holiday treats. This non-alcoholic version is family friendly so everyone gets a taste. This is so much better than what you can find at the grocery store, and the best part is you get to control the flavor. You can kick the cinnamon up a notch if you are a cinnamon lover, or tone it down. Adjusting the spices to your personal taste is the best. Making your own eggnog is totally easy. I make a cooked version to make sure it is safe for everyone. This right here is holiday decadence at its finest.
Be sure to watch the video where I show you exactly how to make eggnog. It’s totally easy! You’ll never go back to store bought.
- 2½ cups milk
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 egg yolks
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream (or half and half for a light version)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Put the milk, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and ½ tsp vanilla into a large saucepan. Put it over the lowest heat setting on your stove for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat under the milk up to medium-high heat. Remove the cinnamon sticks. Stir the milk constantly until it just starts to boil then immediately turn off the heat.
- Slowly whisk in about ¼ of the hot milk into the egg/sugar mixture. Then pour all of the egg/sugar mixture back into the saucepan and whisk it all together. Put it over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. It will thicken a bit.
- Pour the hot eggnog into a large bowl or beverage container and let cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, stir in the heavy cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and nutmeg. Store in the fridge and allow to cool for at least 4 hours before serving.