This Mojo Grilled Chicken Salad is a healthy dinner that is full of flavor. Chicken is marinated in a Cuban mojo (citrus-garlic sauce) and grilled to perfection. It’s served up in a delicious salad with avocado, grilled bell peppers, pickled red onion, and jalapeno.
After taking a trip to Miami a few years ago, I absolutely fell in love with Cuban food and all things mojo. Cuba is on my list of future vacation destinations for sure. Mojo is this amazing sauce made from sour oranges, a treat you can basically only find in Cuba and Florida. We make our own sour orange with a combination of lemon juice and orange juice. Combine that with seasonings and garlic and you have an amazing combination of flavors that will make your tastebuds sing. Add in the delicious veggies and pickled onions and you have one heck of a salad! Fall in love with mojo in this tasty little salad. Bust out the grill baby!
Visual learner? Watch the video to see just how to make this recipe.
Mojo Grilled Chicken Salad
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 avocados, pitted and sliced
- Place the chicken breasts into a shallow dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt. Set aside half of this mixture to use as a salad dressing, and pour the remaining half over the chicken breasts.
- Let chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sliced red onion and sliced jalapeno. Pour red wine vinegar over. Toss together and set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat (375-450 degrees F). Grill chicken breasts for about 4 minutes per side, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Slice.
- While chicken is resting, grill bell peppers for 2 minutes.
- Compile salad on a bed of mixed salad greens topped with fresh cilantro leaves, red onions, jalapenos, sliced avocado, and sliced chicken. Serve drizzled with the reserved salad dressing.