My son just had his first birthday where he was allowed to bring treats to school. We were excited to so we went all out and made these Lego Rice Krispie Treats for his class. I saw them on Pinterest, but they didn’t have any instructions so after some trial and error I thought I’d share some instructions here with you. The key to making this recipe work is to use icing. Icing is not frosting! It starts out as a thick liquid and hardens when exposed to air. This works great for this particular application as the icing melts into the rough surface of the Rice Krispie treat and creates a smooth and shiny surface, much like an actual Lego. Bonus, because the icing hardens they can be easily packaged without smearing.
5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1/4 cup butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
1 large bag M&M candies
multiple colors (red, blue, green, yellow) cookie decorator icing
1. Pour Rice Krispie cereal into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Once butter is melted, pour in mini marshmallows and stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted and smooth.
3. Pour marshmallows over Rice Krispies and stir together until completely mixed together.
4. Scoop Rice Krispies into a lightly grease 9×13 pan. Press down using a piece of wax or parchment paper until flattened. Let cool completely before proceeding. You can pop them in the fridge for 5 minutes to speed up the cooling.
5. While the Rice Krispies are cooling, separate out the M&Ms into colors that match the icing you are using. You will need 6 of the same color per Lego Krispie.
6. Cut Rice Krispies into 18 rectangles. Squeeze some of the icing into a bowl. Dip the top of the Rice Krispie treat into the icing and use a butter knife to smooth it out. Place M&Ms on top in parallel rows of 3 while icing is still wet. Repeat with remaining Rice Krispie treats in varying colors of icing.