Korean Beef Bulgogi is a super easy way to enjoy tasty Korean food at home. A quick and simple marinade for flank steak is all that’s needed to enjoy this classic.
I grew up eating Bulgogi. No, I’m not Korean. I’m as plain white of European decent as they come. But, my dad lived in Korea for a couple of years as a young adult and the one recipe besides kimchi he brought back with him was bulgogi. Thin strips of beef are marinated and quickly cooked for a flavorful and craveable meat dish. You can serve it by itself or over some rice. I loved bulgogi as a five year old and I’m happy to say my picky little 5 year old loves it too. It’s something the whole family can enjoy, yet you are still branching out and trying a foreign dish like bulgogi. They sell pre-marinated bulgogi at Trader Joe’s so you know it’s gotta be a fairly American-friendly popular dish. Thanks to my dad I’ve been eating it my whole life! Now you can make it at home, too! It’s super easy to make and requires very little hands on time.
Korean Beef Bulgogi is a super easy way to enjoy tasty Korean food at home. A quick and simple marinade for flank steak is all that's needed to enjoy this classic.
Author: Rachel Farnsworth
- 2 pounds flank steak
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- Cut flank steak against the grain into thin strips against the grain. Cut it as thin as you can and place the strips in a small mixing bowl.
- In the small mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame seeds, sesame oil, garlic,
- crushed red pepper flakes, ginger, and oyster sauce. Mix the meat strips with the spices until well coated. Let marinade for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- After marinating, heat a large heavy skillet or wok over high heat. Pour the meat in with the marinade and cook on high until meat is cooked through. This should take less than 5 minutes.
- Serve hot by itself or over rice and top with green onions.