All the flavors you love from chicken fajitas in a fun and easy low carb format. Fajita Stuffed Chicken is a dish the whole family will love!
I love making stuffed chicken. It’s a family favorite around here. In fact, I have several recipes on my website for stuffed chicken including Cajun Stuffed Chicken, Stuffed Herbed Chicken, and Italian Stuffed Chicken. Fajita Stuffed Chicken is such an obvious choice I couldn’t believe I hadn’t share the recipe for it yet! It’s all the flavors of fajitas you love stuffed into one easy chicken dinner. It’s genius I tell you.
It’s really simple to put this chicken together and still have plenty of time to get a side dish put together. It’s part of what makes this such a greet weeknight meal. This dinner is great to serve with a side of veggies, a salad, or even some Spanish rice.
Watch the video where I give you a couple of different options for stuffing your chicken, including my favorite way of ensuring that the stuffing all stays inside. While you are at it, you can check out my YouTube Channel where I have hundreds of cooking videos for you to enjoy. Just be warned, it’s likely to leave you drooling on your keyboard.
Fajita Stuffed Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 large mushrooms, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Saute under vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic in during the last 1 minute of cooking.
- Pound out chicken breasts until thin, or butterfly breasts. Spoon vegetable mixture into the middle. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold chicken breasts over so filling is inside. Secure with toothpicks if desired and place in a lightly greased 9x13 pan.
- Squeeze lemon juice over chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl combine cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt, and red pepper flakes (if using). Sprinkle over chicken breasts.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.