Pumpkin pie is a staple at American Thanksgivings and Christmas. It is also one of the easiest pies to make! In fact, it is the perfect pie for kids to help out with. This recipe is my easy peasy pumpkin pie. All you have to do is put the ingredients in a bowl, mix, bake, and enjoy. It’s delicious. You can feel good because it is homemade. Did I mention that it is also a truly delicious pumpkin pie? Go! Make a pumpkin pie! They make for great breakfasts! Oh, I mean desserts!
1 – 15 oz can pumpkin puree
1 – 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 unbaked pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices, and salt until smooth. Pour into pie crust.
3. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.
4. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35 minutes.. You’ll know it is done when you can tap the middle and it doesn’t jiggle.
5. Cool completely before serving.
If you want to really develop your skills when it comes to pumpkin pies you could try making the pumpkin puree yourself. That’s right, like from a real pumpkin. I don’t recommend using jack’o’lantern pumpkins (the kind you carve). A sugar pumpkin is best if you can find it. It’s a smaller pumpkin. Ask your grocer! The basic idea behind pumpkin puree is that you have to cook the pumpkin and then just puree it. A pumpkin is no different than other winter squashes.
First, remove the seeds. With a pumpkin it’s easier if you halve or quarter it. Second, cook it. You can make it at about 375 degrees for 45 minutes or so, or you can try steaming it which would take somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes. Third, remove the skin. Once the pumpkin flesh has softened from cooking it can easily be scraped from the skin. Last, puree it up in a blender, food processor, or with a potato masher.