This hot chocolate isn’t for the faint of heart. It is rich, thick, and full of real chocolate. This is the kind of hot chocolate you make when you want to truly indulge!
I grew up watching Willy Wonka and coveting a swim in his chocolate river. I wanted to glide through that river of chocolate, taking large gulps along the way. Friends, I have found my personal chocolate river. This hot chocolate is the most decadent I can imagine. It is thick, but not overly so, making it glide down and coat your throat with chocolate. Amazingly enough this is also great cold. It might even be better. I’m always torn whether to drink my whole glass while it is hot, or save some so I can have it the next morning cold. You too can be torn whether to swim luxuriously through this river of hot or cold chocolate!
Feel free to alter the kind of chocolate chips you use. Some prefer all milk chocolate, while others prefer it to be quite dark. Mix and match for your perfect taste.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in cornstach until combined and melty.
- Add in milk and sugar. Increase the heat gradually to medium-high. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Mixture will start to thicken.
- Once the mixture begins to thicken, turn the heat down to low and add in the chocolate chips. Stir constantly until well melted.
- Serve hot. Keep the leftovers because it is also amazing, if not better cold!