Be sure to check out my other cajun recipes like my Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta and my Cajun Chicken Drumsticks.
Cajun Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ white onion, diced
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 teaspoons cajun seasoning*
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound out the chicken breasts until about ¼-inch thick.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms, bell pepper, and onions for 5 minutes, until par-cooked.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Place a pinch of cheese in the center of each chicken breast. Place a large spoonful of mushroom and bell pepper mixture on top. Finish off with another pinch of cheese.
- Carefully roll up the chicken so stuffing is completely inside. Secure the chicken with toothpicks. Place in the prepared pan. Season generously with cajun seasoning. Place a tablespoon of butter on top of each chicken breast.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is cooked through, to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks before serving. You can serve the chicken whole, or slice in half, or in 1-inch slices.
Cajun seasoning can be bought in the seasoning section of the grocery store. Each brand will be slightly different in their ingredients and proportions. I like to save myself the money and make my own. Bonus, I also get to control the exact flavor. I mix it up in a ziploc bag or small jar. If you want to make a big batch, just change all the measurements to tablespoons.
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper (if you don’t have it, just substitute black pepper)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
4 1/2 tsp paprika
2 1/2 tsp salt