Have fun and fool the whole family with this dinner. I have fond memories of my own mother making fun meals like this for us. I’ve made a video to go along with it. Be sure to check it out as it has extra tips and is a great visual for how to pull off this tricky meal. It’s easy to make, of course, but it sure will trick people!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Make your meatloaf mixture. You can use any recipe or check out my favorite recipe
- Make everything except the glaze.
- Form meatloaf into large meatballs that fill the muffin tin holes. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Once baked, remove from muffin tin and place in cupcake liners.
- Meanwhile, make a batch of
- mashed potatoes
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a pastry bag with a star tip.
- Frost "cupcakes" with mashed potatoes.
- Vegetable or Canola Oil, for frying
- 4 granny smith apples
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pour oil in a large heavy skillet, enough to cover the pan with ½-inch oil.
- Peel the apples. Cut ¼ inch slices off the apples, leaving the core behind. Cut each of these down into the shape of french fries.
- Working in batches, dust the apple pieces with cornstarch, covering each completely. Fry in the oil about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain for 60 seconds on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll "fries" in mixture and serve immediately.
Cocoa Krispies Mock Meatloaf
- 7 cups Cocoa Krispies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 10 ounces mini-marshmallows
- ¼ cup seedless raspberry jelly
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Places 6 cups of Cocoa Krispies in a gallon resealable bag. Pound with a mallet or rolling pin until crushed. Stir in remaining 1 cup Krispies. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Stir cocoa powder into melted butter until smooth. Pour in mini-marshmallows and stir constantly over low heat until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Immediately pour melted marshmallow over Krispies and stir to combine.
- Using greased hands, shape the Krispies into a free-form meatloaf shape on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together raspberry jelly and cocoa powder until completely combined. Brush over the top of the "meatloaf" to glaze. Let loaf cool completely (about 30 minutes) before cutting into slices.